I often get asked what my skincare routine is. Although I’m one of the lucky ones to have not-so-bad genes, there are a couple tips I have that keep it clear all year round!

NUTRITION

If you follow me on Instagram you’ll know that I follow a healthy diet 90% of the time, with the other 10% saved for those chocolate emergencies and Sunday brunch. Interestingly, I notice that my skin flares up almost immediately if I eat unhealthily for a couple days in a row. Each of us are different in the ways we react to certain foods. Personally I find too much dairy causes my skin to breakout but for you this might vary. There’s no secret ingredient here, but you are what you eat. Following a lifestyle that focuses on being a little extra health conscious will definitely help go a long way in giving your skin some glow.

PRODUCTS

I keep my skin care routine very simple. Here’s the breakdown!

1. I remove my makeup using circle eye pads and Micellar Water.

2. I wash my face with the Cetaphil gel cleanser + my Clarisonic to really get in to those pores.

3. Moisturise + eye cream + sunscreen.

4. Every few days I use a face mask before bed. Particularly the nights before an early shoot. My current favourite is the Detoxifying Green Mask by Sukin.

In my experience, using simple natural skincare products works a treat. Just like a diet fad, ‘miracle’ products won’t work and certainly not instantaneously! Putting a little extra 5 minutes of love into your skin will work wonders.

SOME OF MY FAVOURITE PRODUCTS ON ROTATION

SLEEP

Ahhhh sleep. Getting between 7-9 hours of sleep at night will boost blood flow to the skin, making it appear plump and glowing. Have a big night out? You will most likely have dull, lifeless and dehydrated skin the next morning.

WATER!

The grande-finale, MOISTURE! I would certainly not have the skin I do if I didn’t drink enough water. If you’re dehydrated, so is your skin. I used to be one of those kids that hated water and avoided it at all costs going for the coke or juice instead. After some practice, I now drink at least 3, maybe 4 litres a day. If you struggle with water intake then I suggest you drink two cups before every meal. This tip seriously helps me remember to get it in!

As you can see there are no tricks. I think the most important thing to take away from this post is that I focus on clearing my skin from the inside out! The healthier you are from what you put in your body will reflect on the outside. These tips are purely what has worked for myself, but may not work for you if your acne is severe or extreme. If this is the case and it has been going on a long time, it might be worth considering seeking professional guidance from a specialist.

Let me know what else you’d like to know from me for future posts by commenting below!

MAIA

x